ever been defaced?
The urban dictionary (UD) came up with this term the other day and it made me wonder how much emotional labour is actually involved in the housekeeping bits of being a more or less active user of an online social network such as facebook? When users become the target of a friend’s ‘remove contact’ action – defaced to use the lingo – there is a narrative behind. Too much or too little activity, stalking, swamping with application invites, virtual or real life broken hearts, betrayal, dramas etc. Does it hurt? Or is it simply a lower figure popping up next to the number of friends? Is it accompanied by moves of revenge or is re-facebefriending the next step? Is it a matter of geographical or temporal distance? Hidden agendas, politics of collective ogling or sheer ignorance [the currency of the modern world as someone in UD argues]? Obviously, it can mean anything or nothing at all – but the complexity of unspoken rules and the subleties of online representation and status issues is amazing…in the end it may determine – or contradict – what happens in the 1:1 encounter offline too.
About Britta Bohlinger, CFEFounder and Director of RisikoKlár in Iceland. Native German, global perspective - previously in London and Berlin.
- RT @TheACFE: 'Robots will replace lawyers in court' says head of Serious Fraud Office ow.ly/9zQU30gHaaC 13 hours ago
- China to tighten #regulation of #fintech consumer loans: protection from illegal practices and #collateralization ft.com/content/20c885… 3 weeks ago
- In order to understand #risk holistically and mitigate beyond band aid approaches connect the dots and ask very inc… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 weeks ago
- Brutal wakeup call: #misconduct & the wrong tone at the top can entail hurricane force damage to the entire organiz… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Smokescreening root causes? MEPs still not demanding end of exploitation & destruction of refugees' habitat & resou… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
Translate my blog into your language
- 88,172 hits
- data analysis
- data collection
- discourse analysis
- editing and publishing
- informal learning
- online collaboration tools
- online tutorials
- real world
- research design
- research resources
- social media and education
- sociology of the internet
- virtual worlds