ever been defaced?
The urban dictionary (UD) came up with this term the other day and it made me wonder how much emotional labour is actually involved in the housekeeping bits of being a more or less active user of an online social network such as facebook? When users become the target of a friend’s ‘remove contact’ action – defaced to use the lingo – there is a narrative behind. Too much or too little activity, stalking, swamping with application invites, virtual or real life broken hearts, betrayal, dramas etc. Does it hurt? Or is it simply a lower figure popping up next to the number of friends? Is it accompanied by moves of revenge or is re-facebefriending the next step? Is it a matter of geographical or temporal distance? Hidden agendas, politics of collective ogling or sheer ignorance [the currency of the modern world as someone in UD argues]? Obviously, it can mean anything or nothing at all – but the complexity of unspoken rules and the subleties of online representation and status issues is amazing…in the end it may determine – or contradict – what happens in the 1:1 encounter offline too.
About Britta Bohlinger, CFEFounder and Director of RisikoKlár in Iceland. Native German, global perspective - previously in London and Berlin.
- Blockchain technology plays increasing role in countering global #foodfraud, growing need for effective mitigation… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Earning annual #CPE credit: choices, benefits, and the fun in exceeding the mandatory #CFE #Education bit.ly/2wHnLBM #risikoklar 1 week ago
- RT @CREWcrew: Prince's sister is Education Secretary Betsy DeVos--in the Trump administration, things are always all in the family https://… 1 week ago
- Programmers' poor #reflexivity and #ethics training increases biased #AI - echoes deep-seated problems in #banking theguardian.com/inequality/201… 1 week ago
- Contingent liability adequate in severe #moneylaundering case? Software blamed by Commbank - #internalcontrols re… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
Translate my blog into your language
- 88,046 hits
- data analysis
- data collection
- discourse analysis
- editing and publishing
- informal learning
- online collaboration tools
- online tutorials
- real world
- research design
- research resources
- social media and education
- sociology of the internet
- virtual worlds