ever been defaced?
The urban dictionary (UD) came up with this term the other day and it made me wonder how much emotional labour is actually involved in the housekeeping bits of being a more or less active user of an online social network such as facebook? When users become the target of a friend’s ‘remove contact’ action – defaced to use the lingo – there is a narrative behind. Too much or too little activity, stalking, swamping with application invites, virtual or real life broken hearts, betrayal, dramas etc. Does it hurt? Or is it simply a lower figure popping up next to the number of friends? Is it accompanied by moves of revenge or is re-facebefriending the next step? Is it a matter of geographical or temporal distance? Hidden agendas, politics of collective ogling or sheer ignorance [the currency of the modern world as someone in UD argues]? Obviously, it can mean anything or nothing at all – but the complexity of unspoken rules and the subleties of online representation and status issues is amazing…in the end it may determine – or contradict – what happens in the 1:1 encounter offline too.
About Britta Bohlinger, CFEFounder and Director of RisikoKlár in Iceland. Native German, global perspective - previously in London and Berlin.
- Tone at the top and #riskculture remain the biggest threats to #compliance in #FI, despite growing #AI and #regtech twitter.com/dominik_witz/s… 11 hours ago
- Culture determines business practices: while Germany still loves #cash Sweden follows the Icelandic #cashless model. twitter.com/business/statu… 11 hours ago
- RT @GSX_BIC: Regulatory guidelines for Initial Coin Offering released by the #Swiss Financial Authority. The world continues to work toward… 1 day ago
- RT @FrenkenEBF: We can't say it often enough: Screen scraping for access to bank account details is not a safe future proof option. It also… 2 weeks ago
- Digging deep and efficiently into this rich #data source in your #EDD #AML #riskmanagement activities. Excellent t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
Translate my blog into your language
- 88,293 hits
- data analysis
- data collection
- discourse analysis
- editing and publishing
- informal learning
- online collaboration tools
- online tutorials
- real world
- research design
- research resources
- social media and education
- sociology of the internet
- virtual worlds