censorship in the blogosphere
Censorship in the blogosphere may trigger instant associations to China, Syria etc and policing the internet. But censorship may not only occur on the national or the macro level but also on the micro level. The extent of control exercised when readers comment on postings may say more about the individual/s running the blog than any statements made by them in their profile or postings.
Under the umbrella of an individual’s anxieties, i.e. the need to feel in control in the virtual world where many perceive themselves not in command but rather controlled by the invisible audiences – and other unknown forces – , the only way to restore order and a sense of power is to censor comments to a degree that may disencourage readers to comment at all. This resulting lack of feedback and interaction in a rapidly growing universe of blogs, online social networks, and microblogging tools such as twitter may contribute to a sense that ‘those out there’ are indeed powerful invisible audiences who consume but remain emotionally unavailable. A desired outcome of the regulatory mechanisms at the micro level in the blogosphere?
About Britta Bohlinger, CFEFounder and Director of RisikoKlár in Iceland. Native German, global perspective - previously in London and Berlin.
- Blockchain technology plays increasing role in countering global #foodfraud, growing need for effective mitigation… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Earning annual #CPE credit: choices, benefits, and the fun in exceeding the mandatory #CFE #Education bit.ly/2wHnLBM #risikoklar 1 week ago
- RT @CREWcrew: Prince's sister is Education Secretary Betsy DeVos--in the Trump administration, things are always all in the family https://… 1 week ago
- Programmers' poor #reflexivity and #ethics training increases biased #AI - echoes deep-seated problems in #banking theguardian.com/inequality/201… 1 week ago
- Contingent liability adequate in severe #moneylaundering case? Software blamed by Commbank - #internalcontrols re… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
Translate my blog into your language
- 88,046 hits
- data analysis
- data collection
- discourse analysis
- editing and publishing
- informal learning
- online collaboration tools
- online tutorials
- real world
- research design
- research resources
- social media and education
- sociology of the internet
- virtual worlds