why I love the way people find their way to me
Today someone had searched for ‘peer review makes me cry’ – and ended up on my blogpost ‘statistics makes me cry…’. Sweet. I love this. Search engines hold the key to secret thoughts, sentiments and moods – how often do I take a look at the statistics of my blog and smile? Yes, I resort to the very same strategy. Whenever the initial search produces rather poor results, I find myself typing entire sentences, in a sort of let’s-see-what-the-machine-makes-of-this mood. Surprisingly often I am presented with very interesting links I would otherwise not have found.
Tagging, categorising and other lablling practices are often subject to temporary and arbitrary, individually shaped, highly selective patterns – or no recognisible patterns at all. What’s beneath the keywords and the hunt for information that responds to my fragmented questions is then, perhaps, a more empathetic approach. I take a step back, focus on what I actually really look for or feel in that very moment, and here we go: someone else thought it at an earlier point. And blogged or twittered or videoblogged about it.
It’s a moment when the machine becomes more human…an illusion, I know. But I love it, this kind of imagined and part-real connectivity.
About Britta Bohlinger, CFEFounder and Director of RisikoKlár in Iceland. Native German, global perspective - previously in London and Berlin.
- Tone at the top and #riskculture remain the biggest threats to #compliance in #FI, despite growing #AI and #regtech twitter.com/dominik_witz/s… 11 hours ago
- Culture determines business practices: while Germany still loves #cash Sweden follows the Icelandic #cashless model. twitter.com/business/statu… 11 hours ago
- RT @GSX_BIC: Regulatory guidelines for Initial Coin Offering released by the #Swiss Financial Authority. The world continues to work toward… 1 day ago
- RT @FrenkenEBF: We can't say it often enough: Screen scraping for access to bank account details is not a safe future proof option. It also… 2 weeks ago
- Digging deep and efficiently into this rich #data source in your #EDD #AML #riskmanagement activities. Excellent t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
Translate my blog into your language
- 88,293 hits
- data analysis
- data collection
- discourse analysis
- editing and publishing
- informal learning
- online collaboration tools
- online tutorials
- real world
- research design
- research resources
- social media and education
- sociology of the internet
- virtual worlds