why I love the way people find their way to me
Today someone had searched for ‘peer review makes me cry’ – and ended up on my blogpost ‘statistics makes me cry…’. Sweet. I love this. Search engines hold the key to secret thoughts, sentiments and moods – how often do I take a look at the statistics of my blog and smile? Yes, I resort to the very same strategy. Whenever the initial search produces rather poor results, I find myself typing entire sentences, in a sort of let’s-see-what-the-machine-makes-of-this mood. Surprisingly often I am presented with very interesting links I would otherwise not have found.
Tagging, categorising and other lablling practices are often subject to temporary and arbitrary, individually shaped, highly selective patterns – or no recognisible patterns at all. What’s beneath the keywords and the hunt for information that responds to my fragmented questions is then, perhaps, a more empathetic approach. I take a step back, focus on what I actually really look for or feel in that very moment, and here we go: someone else thought it at an earlier point. And blogged or twittered or videoblogged about it.
It’s a moment when the machine becomes more human…an illusion, I know. But I love it, this kind of imagined and part-real connectivity.
About Britta Bohlinger, CFEFounder and Director of RisikoKlár in Iceland. Native German, global perspective - previously in London and Berlin.
- RT @TheACFE: Denmark Wants EU to Play a Bigger Role Tackling Money Laundering - @business buff.ly/2t0b6dz #fraudnewsACFE #moneylaun… 4 days ago
- Facing severe prison time may be the most effective warning to similarly ethically challenged greedy #startups and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- Not ready for EU #dataprotection? Many British and US organisations reminded me of #GDPR changes this week but worr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Court case review reveals: 70% of cases came from international, non-US # #Whistleblowers: Philippines, Greece, Ven… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Held accountable for #misconduct and misuse of corporate funds, Thomas Middelhoff on life after prison. Lessons lea… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
Translate my blog into your language
- 88,420 hits
- data analysis
- data collection
- discourse analysis
- editing and publishing
- informal learning
- online collaboration tools
- online tutorials
- real world
- research design
- research resources
- social media and education
- sociology of the internet
- virtual worlds