I have received online access to all material for Discourse Analysis (key theoretical, philosophical, and methodological debates), the Open University’s post-graduate course in the Social Sciences programme. It’s a 16 week course at 30 credit points and will be my second last course towards the MA degree, with 3 assignments to be submitted electronically and an exam in April 2010. All material has been provided right at the start of the course in PDFs – which can be edited by help of mark-up. Below the links to the study material on Amazon (look inside feature) and material from previous years (PDFs are not editable) which vary only in terms of dates from the current presentation.
- Wetherell, M., Taylor, S. and Yates, S.J. (eds) (2001) Discourse Theory and
Practice: A Reader. London: Sage in association with The Open University.
Discourse Theory (Reader) on Amazon (search inside)
This reader contains a collection of articles by Stuart Hall, Erving Goffman, Nikolas Rose et al.
- Wetherell, M., Taylor, S. and Yates, S.J. (eds) (2001) Discourse as Data: A Guide for Analysis, London: Sage in association with The Open University.
Discourse Data (Workbook) on Amazon (search inside)
- Study Guide (PDF, opens in new window) which outlines the learning outcomes and the teaching strategy
- Study Calendar of 2007, PDF opens in new window.
There is also a specimen exam paper delivered online but not made accessible to the public by the Open University, further a number of exam papers from previous years available on the OUSA Online Store for purchase. Moreover, preparation notes, a guide for submitting electronic assignments (time of submission will change in December from 12am to 12noon) and the assignment booklet itself.
Further required readings:
- Fairclough, N. and Wodak, R. (1997) ‘Critical discourse analysis’ in van Dijk, Teun A. (ed.) Discourse as Social Interaction, vol. 2, London/Thousand Oaks/New Delhi: Sage, pp. 258–84.
- Locke, A. and Edwards, D. (2003) ‘Bill and Monica: memory, emotion and normativity in Clinton’s Grand Jury testimony’, British Journal of Social Psychology, vol. 42, part 2, pp. 239–56.
- Pomerantz, A. and Fehr, B.J. (1997) ‘Conversation analysis: an approach to the study of social action as sense making practices’ in van Dijk, Teun A. (ed.) Discourse as Social Interaction,vol.2, London/Thousand Oaks/New Delhi: Sage Publications, pp. 64–91.
- Potter, J. (2005) ‘Making psychology relevant’, Discourse and Society, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 739–47.
- van Dijk, Teun A. (1992) ‘Discourse and the denial of racism’, Discourse and Society, vol. 3, no.1, pp. 87–118
Today I have received several books related to The Open University’s discontinued undergraduate course D318 Culture, Media and Identities. The series was published by Sage in association with the OU in 1997 and editors included Stuart Hall (also course chair then), Paul du Gay, Kathryn Woodward, Hugh Mackay and Kenneth Thompson. I had studied – what I still feel the most stimulating, rewarding, and challenging course – back in 2005 when I was still living in Berlin, right before I moved to London in October that year. I did not bring the material with me, so I was looking over the past few weeks for the set of publications at Amazon in order to find the required references for my research proposal. University Book Search are located in England and provided me with the books in mint condition at less than GBP5 each within less than 3 days. Highly recommended, they obtained 100% customer satisfaction at Amazon and offer quite a large number of Open University course books in their recycling programme.
You can subscribe to my site’s updates using this link to my RSS feed.
- Operationelle Risiken bei Uber: data hack, cover up and delayed reporting. Learning from bad practice #oprisk… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
- RT @TheACFE: 'Robots will replace lawyers in court' says head of Serious Fraud Office ow.ly/9zQU30gHaaC 2 weeks ago
- China to tighten #regulation of #fintech consumer loans: protection from illegal practices and #collateralization ft.com/content/20c885… 1 month ago
- In order to understand #risk holistically and mitigate beyond band aid approaches connect the dots and ask very inc… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Brutal wakeup call: #misconduct & the wrong tone at the top can entail hurricane force damage to the entire organiz… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
Translate my blog into your language
- 88,211 hits
- data analysis
- data collection
- discourse analysis
- editing and publishing
- informal learning
- online collaboration tools
- online tutorials
- real world
- research design
- research resources
- social media and education
- sociology of the internet
- virtual worlds